Tuesday 16 September 2014

“I Don’t Know What to Do With My Life”

Do you ever hear yourself saying “I don’t know what to do with my life”? I’ve been there, and I know it’s a terrible feeling. Find out how you can dust yourself off and move on, says Lou Johnson.

Life is a strange feeling. At times, we’re happy, and at other times we find ourselves asking “I don’t know what to do with my life”.

Let me help you understand your life better, through my eyes.

We humans have been gifted with brains and ideas, but at times, I wonder if we’d all be better off dumber, like a pet cat that lazes all day, or some wild animal in the forest.

Of course, life isn’t easy even for animals, but ignorance is bliss.

And it’s so much easier to just be nomads, worrying about nothing but foraging for food, looking for a place to sleep, and someone to sleep with. Wouldn’t that just be so darn simple!

Most of the times, we just don’t know what to do. We’re lost, clueless and completely blanked out. But moving on in life is easier if you give hope a chance.

“I don’t know what to do with my life”

Do you find yourself lying awake at night and telling yourself you don’t know what to do, and thinking about all the years that have slipped by so quietly? I do. I’m sure that thought flits through your mind every now and then.

Countless nights and tosses and turns in our beds later, we’re still left with that same hollow feeling in the chest when we’re all alone. I don’t know what to do with my life. Where am I going? Am I doing the right thing? Is my life hard? Why do the others have their lives cut out so easy?

I’m thankfully a gifted sleeper and I can barely lie awake in bed for more than a few minutes, if I’m trying to get some sleep. But before I close my eyes late at night, I wonder if my day was worth it. I ask myself if I’ve worked hard enough to deserve a good night’s sleep. Even if I’ve worked an 18-hour day, my answer still remains the same.

Nope. I don’t deserve to sleep peacefully. Because I still have so much more to do. So many more dreams and innumerable aspirations, wishes and hopes. The very things that I’m clutching on like straws in a wind, hoping they don’t blow away into oblivion.

How do I know what to do with my life?

Actors and directors look forward to an Academy award to feel satisfied that they’ve excelled in their field, and likewise, in the research and literary fields, they have different awards. But in my life, I still haven’t won any laurels. So am I not good enough? Or have I just not been recognized? Or does it mean I don’t know what to do with my life? How to be successful in life? I’d know that I’ve excelled in my field when I’ve made a difference to lives, when the world sees me, not as an idle man lost in his mind, but as a thinker and a dreamer.

Most people think that the word ‘dreamer’ is an insult, but I think it’s a compliment. No one has ever made their way through the world without a dream. The real world is a dark damp place, and your dream is the only light that takes you further. And passion is the jet-fuel to your dreams!

I’ve lost my passion one too many times in my life, and at times, I’ve paid the price. But my passion comes back to me every night, when I think about my life, and when at I stare at the stars.

I love staring at stars, because somewhere in the darkness, my dream shines, just like that star. The sky is so vast, it seems to have the space and the emptiness to carry all my burdens and worries. I look at my favorite star every night, and I realize I can still see my dream, even if it is a million miles away.

Lost in dreams and don’t know what to do

Do you feel the same way? When you sleep at night, and think about everything you’ve done, do you feel you’ve reached where you’ve wanted to be? Most importantly, are you happy being you?

These are just a few questions that no one else can answer for you, nor can you tell your answer to anyone else. You wouldn’t be able to get it out in words, and others wouldn’t understand it even if you try telling them.

Moving on when you don’t know what to do

When you’re lost and don’t know what to do with your life, it’s alright to take a step back and sit down. Take time to ask yourself some questions. And really, spend time asking yourself those secret questions you’ve always overlooked.

If you had a choice, what would you rather be doing?

Why are you lost?

Is life unfair?

Are you willing to try harder?

What to do with my life – Move on or step back

These are a few questions that will reveal the world to which you belong. You feel lost and feel like you don’t know what to do only when you’re helpless.

It’s like you’re in a forest and a tiger chases you to the cliff. What can you do? You’re helpless and lost. You have two choices. You can go down on your knees and wait for the tiger to eat you. Or you can try to fight or run. Now I’m not saying you’ll win for sure, but all I’m saying is that even when you’ve lost all hope, just for a few mad seconds, you’re willing to give everything you’ve got, and you’re going to try something.

Humans have unbelievable hidden strengths when the mind senses the need. Proven incidents show that a man can lift a two ton car with his bare hands to save his son trapped underneath the car, and innumerable other cases. You have the power to move on, and you definitely have the mad, wild passion and determination to do something in life. But for all that to happen, you have to believe. You have to believe that you can change your world forever.

When you don’t know what to do – Listen to the voices in your head

If you could choose any profession in the whole wide world, any designation, no strings attached, where would you see yourself? Think over it, ponder and linger over the same words. They will change your life. Yes, I thought about it too.

I asked myself what I would really want to do, if I could be anything I wanted to be. I thought hard, and I could get just one answer in my mind. I wanted to be a writer, a speaker, and a person who wants to be remembered as a thinker. I had done the right thing, I listened to the voices in my head. The journey may be hard, but your dream helps absorb the pain of all the thorns and the jagged rocks in your path.

I’m still on my way, still wondering about the gargantuan mountains and giants that threaten me on all sides. I’m afraid to look too far ahead, just in case I’m overwhelmed with a false sense of security, each time I see a mirage. There are many troubling thoughts in my head, I contemplate over the different paths to my destination, especially with so many hurdles on my path, but then I remember the voices in my head. I trust them with all my heart. I push myself ahead.

Don’t know what to do with my life

So what would you rather be doing now? Are you listening to the voices in your head? That one thought could change your world. Don’t stop thinking about it, until you hear a firm voice in your head. And when you hear it, follow every word it says.

It’s not easy to hear the elusive voices, but when you lie in bed, late at night, and you listen hard, you would hear them. Those voices can console you, reassure you, help you make decisions, and give you solace. Ever heard of the phrase, ‘think it over your sleep’? To most people, it means getting some rest and thinking about it when the mind is fresh, but to a true thinker, it’s listening to the voices inside the head.

Don’t give up when you don’t know what to do

All of us get lost in life, at some point or the other. But that’s not the end of the world. Are you broke? Are you lost in life? Are you depressed that you aren’t getting the one you love? Are you stressed that life isn’t turning out how you hoped it would?

Well, my dear friend, look around you. This is life, and it’s moving on. And remember all those days when you used to be a child and thought assignments and school crushes were the biggest problems in the world? You got through it, didn’t you?

Don’t you remember telling yourself “I don’t know what to do with my life” even back then? But look at you, you’ve moved on. When life gives you lemons, you can make lemonade. Or you can come up with something better to do with lemons. But for crying out loud, do something with those lemons!

Life is confusing, and you don’t know your future. But when you hear yourself saying “I don’t know what to do with my life”, remember the little voice in your head and take the next step. And read here about what to do when you’re lost in life, and want to move on into a better future.

We’re trying hard to create better relationships in the world.
But we can’t do it without YOU!

Did this feature help you better yourself or your relationship?
You can change someone else’s life too!

No comments:

Post a Comment